What Will I Learn?
This should give you a good idea of some of the things that people are looking for. Some wood projects have been around for centuries and were used by the ancients for tools, weaponry and even architecture. Others were used only for decoration or to be used for hobbies. The ones listed here are things that you will probably never use but that you can see are selling.
- Sandstone Beds. These are the perfect way to add some character and natural look to your yard or patio. They look good in an old-fashioned style home or a new ranch house. Look for sandstone that matches your landscaping and decking.
- Bird Houses. Some people like birds and want to have their own nest box in their yard. Wood projects that sell on eBay often come with an easy to assemble bird house. They can be put up in just one day and can be moved anywhere. The designs are attractive and the children will love having a new place to call their own.
- Gazebos. A gazebo is a great addition to any yard. There are many wood projects that sell on eBay that include gazebos. You can find gazebos made of cedar, pine, aluminum or any other type of wood. You can even get them custom built so that you will be able to create a truly unique gazebo.
- Birdhouses. Birdhouses are also popular wood projects that sell on eBay. Whether you have a lot of birds that need a home or you just want to be able to showcase some of nature’s wonders, a birdhouse is something that is definitely worth placing on eBay for. You can find all kinds of birdhouses, from those that are made specifically for window shoppers to larger structures that are large enough for a whole family.
- Dollhouses. Perhaps, the most classic wood projects that you can use on eBay. If you are looking to add a little doll house into your home, but do not want to go all out on an expense, you can use this type of craft project to really show off your style and add some character to your home. The great thing about these is that they can be found in so many styles, from those that are made specifically for young girls to larger structures that can serve as a home for a family of four.
Wood is easy to come by, and with the summer providing us with endless fun, there is a lot of it around. If you are someone who likes to collect things, you will find that this is one type of wood projects that are just perfect for you. The types of wood projects that sell on eBay include things like birdhouses, furniture, doll houses and many other unique items.
Many people choose to start a new collection of one type of wood or the other to add variety to their home. You can also choose to specialize in a certain type of wood, so if you are a person who likes cherry, you could focus your efforts on making doll house furniture or something similar. The possibilities are endless!
Another type of wood projects that people like to make is wood jewelry. This type of wood projects will be geared more towards children and adults, but the tools needed for this type of wood crafting are similar to the ones needed for making furniture. Some of the tools you will need including small pliers, crescent wrench, wood glue and wood screws, as well as a type of wood that will be easy to work with, such as pine.
The final step would be to stain or paint the piece so that it looks nice and appealing. Stained wood jewelry is also a popular choice among many people, although stained glass jewelry is typically more elaborate and will not be as affordable as jewelry made from other types of wood.
Creating your own products to sell online is definitely a unique way to be your own supplier. A lot of people really love to buy unique items that cater to craftsmanship. If you have good skills you can do well.
Traditionally when you think of wooden items that are for sale, you think of the traditional items you see at crafts sales. It used to be that spice racks, paper towel holders and picture frames were the most common item. This has always bothered me since they are such basic and mundane items that don’t really cater to the skills of real craftsman.
Even in my 11th grade shop class when most guys were making sconces, I wanted to make something practical. So I built a cabinet to house my stereo. To me this made sense. I bought the wood for $11 and ended up with something that we used in our home for years. This is how buyers think as well, give them something they can use and that they cannot regularly find in a typical department store.
Think of who your target audience is when thinking of a product to make. Large target audiences give you a better chance of selling your product on a regular basis. The typical woodworking items discussed above are often purchased by an “older” target audience.
The problem is, they are not a large user of the internet shopping portals. This group is changing and starting to access shopping online, but start out with a better chance to make consistent sales.
Another idea to keep in mind is to do your research. Take the time to look through the completed items portion of wood projects that sell on eBay. You can find out a lot about what items sell by looking at auctions that already closed and sold their items.
You can do this several ways including accessing the “what’s hot” section of wood projects that sell on EBay, (go to sitemap at top of page and then scroll down half way down in the middle of the screen) I have found that unusual items sell the best.
Think about this, table legs. Table legs that are handmade and unique, sell very well. Don’t take my word for it, do your research. A lot of woodworkers come online to buy a part of a project they cannot make themselves. Most table legs require the use of a lathe to make them. A lot of shops don’t have a lathe in their arsenal. Woodworkers tend to stock their shops with a limited budget with the die hard basic tools.
You can also use a legacy ornamental mill to make some excellent table legs that will fetch high prices. Most people will wince at the thought of spending the bigger dollars to get the mill. However you can make some items on it that you cannot get or make anywhere else. I call these short cut tools. They make killer projects but cost premium dollars.
The extra dollars can be justified quite easily by making more sales and the tools area tax write off, if you structure your business. I use woodworking shows to get great ideas on what to market. The vendors are eager to help you figure out a unique product that you can make with their tool. Again the key is to think outside the box.